DoYouTravel

Jack Morris

KENYA

April 21, 2017

Nairobi ⌲ Solio ⌲ Giraffe Manor ⌲ Sasaab

Lauren’s birthday was coming up and I wanted to surprise her with something a little different (trust me that ain’t easy when we go to new places every month!)

After a few weeks of brainstorming I was left with an obvious choice – The Giraffe Manor in Kenya.
A beautiful vintage looking Manor turned into a hotel, and home to a number of endangered Rothschild giraffes. It was available for 2 nights which was perfect, but Kenya is at least a 17 hour flight from Bali so it made sense to venture out to other parts of the country whilst we’re all that way.
The Giraffe Manor is part of the Safari Collection, and they have 3 other beautiful lodges scattered across Kenya, I picked Solio for 2 nights and Sassab for 4 nights.

SOLIO LODGE

We kicked off the trip with Solio. A beautiful lodge with a view of Mount Kenya! It’s the only lodge in the whole reserve so the experience with the wildlife was real intimate. To get there we flew from Nairobi in a tiny plane which was fun, it took around 30 minutes. Neither of us had ever done a safari before so we didn’t really know what to expect, maybe we’ll see a giraffe every now and again, possibly an elephant if we’re lucky?

A plane to ourselves!

Once we landed we got straight into our ride and set off to the lodge. Within 30 minutes we saw more wildlife than I expected to see on the whole 2 nights! Our driver asked us what animal we hoped to see the most, we both really wanted to see a lion but didn’t get lucky on our way in.

After a long day of travel we planned to spend the evening at the lodge. A bubble bath, red wine and snacks sounded perfect! Just as the sun set our driver called and told us he had spotted some lions so plans quickly changed and we went back out. It was pitch black by the time we got to the lions, but still, what an insane experience to be so close to the king of the jungle and his pride in the wild.

The following 2 days we saw countless giraffes, zebras a cheetah, some more lions (this time a pride of around 15!) and of course herds of rhinos which Solio is famous for. We woke up for sunrise each day because that’s prime time for seeing the animals, not to mention the only time of day to get a clear view of Mount Kenya from our room!

Our first encounter with a lion!

GIRAFFE MANOR

On the morning of Lauren’s birthday we took the same tiny plane back up to Nairobi to spend the next 2 nights in giraffe paradise! I booked us a room at the top with a balcony because the giraffes literally come tapping on the window early in the morning to give you a wake up call!

We were given little giraffe biscuits to feed them (basically dried up grass) which they seemed to love! After feeding them from our bedroom window we got dressed and headed downstairs to enjoy a birthday breakfast with the giraffes! This was a morning I’ll never be able to compare!

After breakfast when the food is gone the giraffes quickly loose interest and wonder off back into the bush. They come back at around 4 30pm for afternoon tea at the front of the Manor. Tea, scones, and sloppy giraffe kisses.. it doesn’t get much better haha.

This hotel is hands down the best place I’ve ever stayed – a weird and wonderful experience i’ll never forget!

SASAAB

For our last four nights at Sasaab I invited our good friends Louie and Raya to join us which was really fun! We met them at the airport and again took the tiny plane down to Sasaab. This time it took a hour. On our way to the lodge a majestic African elephant crossed the road right in front of us. I’d never seen an African elephant before, so this was a new and very cool experience for me!

The lodge itself was so beautiful and had a Moroccan vibe to the decor. Our room had a private plunge pool and a view overlooking the river, it had been dried up for months due to us arriving at the very end of dry season. On our 2nd night the rain finally came down and we saw the river fill up, which we’ve been told is a very rare sight to see! After the rainfall it was pretty common to watch herds of elephant bathing in the new river from our rooms.

On our last day we drove out to a local nearby village. The village was completely raw and real, not one of those fake villages set up for tourists to buy souvenirs. This was a raw as it gets and an eyeopening insight of how these people live.

They were real friendly and interested in our camera equipment. Louis put up the drone and the kids went crazy! I guess it’s a pretty alien object to them, which explained why they ran around fanatically chasing and jumping up at it!  This was one of my favourite days of the whole trip.

A room with a view at Sasaab

Local kids reacting to the drone

Shocked at snapchat filters haha

A village lady looking at her polaroid portrait

This trip was one of the best I’ve done – if you’re considering a safari check out The Safari Collection!

If you have any question feel free to comment below!

Follow my journey via email!

67 Comments

67 responses to “KENYA”

1. Sascha says:

Jack how did you get your drone through the boarder control?I ve read that you need 2 different authorisations to take the drone to kenya.You were checked at the boarder control?

2. Sascha says:

3. Rachel says:

Incredible photos and it’s nice to see , you saw one of the true beauty of our country kenya 🇰🇪. And you shared with the world, personal I will say sharing the love to the world.

4. hin&weg says:

I love this Photo the Giraffes are looking for breakfast. So so funny and perfekt Moment. ..
    Greetings from germany – sylvia

5. Cate says:

Glad you enjoyed your stay in my beautiful country.

6. Stéphane says:

Hello, I’m Stéphane a french guy living in Luxembourg (not sure you know my country 😁)
    Will you post one day about the US ?
    So many great places also there…
    Ciao

7. Anonymous says:

Am glad you guys came to my country Kenya.why didnt you guys come to the coast to swim with dolphins and also see white sandy beaches?

8. Travis says:

Hey,

Just wanted to know, what camera do you shoot on? Lens etc? Your photos are incredible. Also what do you use to edit your photos? Photoshop, Lightroom?

9. Nina says:

I live close by to sasaab, you were lucky to see the river fill up! I was there in January and the was not a drop of water.

10. Alexis says:

Absolutely beautiful. Definitely on my bucket list… thank you so much for sharing your travels with us!

11. Silvie says:

Amazing! Will you post about Philippines??? Xx

12. Anna says:

Wow so amazing what a fabulous experience

13. Jean says:

Hi Dylan!
    Absolutely AMAZING.
    My bestfriend and I go to Nairobi in few days.
    Is this place easily accessible?
    How long from Nairobi?
    And the price of the stay ?
    Thanks!

14. Indiana says:

Hey Jack! Im in love with your work and id love to see an article about how you edit your gorgeous shots. Say hi to lauren for me and tell her that I love you guys ✌🏼️✌🏼

15. Peyo says:

Great to see you and Lauren enjoyed my beautiful country. Karibuni tena.

16. Magdalena says:

You have this ability to literally transport your audience to places you visit thanks to your incredibly alive photos! I love this post and can´t wait for more!!!! Xoxo

17. Asja says:

I love you both and what you do in your life. You inspire me, my future and my dreams!
    Really good works and pics, thank you! 💕

18. So incredible! I’m heading to Kenya this year, specifically to visit my foster elephant with DSWT (which I saw you also visited on this trip). Your photos are always so beautiful, and you’re so talented at capturing the culture and diversity in every country. You should be very proud of all you’ve achieved! X

19. Melissa says:

Jack, I love your pictures. Do you do video or do you plan to do some? Would love to see some of your trips.

20. Camille Van den Bossche says:

Hi,
    I love your blog and this post especially!! I want to go with my best friend to Kenya this year (2 girls on their own). But my father says it is not safe because of extreme islamic terrorists. Did you see any of this there? What is your advise?

Camille

• Rachel says:

Hello Camille, personally I will be happy to reply to this because am Kenyan and I live here in nairobi , don’t believe anything you hear or read about security in kenya, and the only way you can find out is visiting the country, the exaggerations and propaganda of situations from the media are amazing when it come to most African countries. Hope the gentleman who wrote this beautiful article can give u his view too. Regards Rachel