DoYouTravel

Jack Morris

Equipment Breakdown

January 9, 2017

One of the most common questions I’m asked on Instagram is ‘what camera do you use?’
For everyone who asked, I hope this short write up gives you all the information you’re looking for!

I’ve linked each item to Amazon so you guys can check out the exact spec, price etc just by clicking the name.

Please comment below if you have any further questions!

Cameras

Canon 5D MK3

Over the past few years I’ve used the Canon 5D mk iii – this has been pretty much the only camera I’ve used for my Instagram photos unless I’ve stated otherwise.

The downfall of the 5D mk iii is it’s video capabilities. It has the inability to even record 60fps at 1080p which is one of the reasons I haven’t been producing videos over the last 2 years.

I’ve been itching to get back into video and start a new YouTube channel with Lauren for quite some time now, which pushed me to purchase the new Sony A7S mkii.

Sony A7S II

I’ve heard nothing but great things about this camera, and rightfully so, it’s capabilities for video have blown me away! It shoots 120fps which produces super slow motion with crispy results. I’m so excited to have some new video content to share with you all real soon!

Lenses

Between me and Lauren we now have 6 lenses (2 for video and 4 for photography) I’ll start with the ones I use with the Canon for photography.

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L

If I’m only taking one lens out for the day this will be it. It’s the most versatile and perfect if I plan on shooting various things at once. If you’re planning on buying only one lens I would recommend this one.

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L

This has been one of my favourite lenses when shooting landscapes or getting that little bit extra in the shot. It’s especially useful if I plan on cropping for Instagram.

Sigma 35mm F1.4

I love this prime lens! This is my go to when taking photos of myself and Lauren when we have a bit of extra space to work with.

Sigma 24mm F1.4

This is the newest addition to my lens collection. I haven’t used it so much yet but it’s already becoming one of my favourite lenses! It’s unbelievably sharp and a great go to lens if you’re walking around shooting various things.

Sony 24-70mm f/4

Now for video.. Whilst the Sony 24 – 70 f2.8 is superior in many ways, I went with the f4 purely because of its weight and size. Since I’m using the Sony for video purposes, I needed to keep the weight down to a minimal so that I could use it with my smaller gimble. This was the first lens I bought to test out the Sony camera, I was delighted with the results!

Sound

Sony XLR-K2M XLR

I recently purchased this microphone for the Sony. It’s ideal for capturing vivid sounds which in my opinion are essential when creating videos.

Underwater Housing

Aqua Tech Housing

For all underwater shots I use Aqua Tech underwater housing for the 5D mkiii. Even though I don’t use it regularly, it’s a necessity when travelling to tropical destinations. I bought the huge dome lens which makes shooting half in half out photos extremely easy!

The photo below was taken with the 5D Mkiii, the 16 – 35mm lens, and the underwater housing.

Stabilizer

I recently purchased the Wieldy Swift – M2 electronic gimble to stabilise my videos. This gimble really shocked me on how easy it is to use. It takes minutes to set up, and the results are insane! It takes little to zero practice as the electronic functions do all the work for you!

Tripod & Remote

Another question I get asked numerous times on a daily basis is ‘who takes your photos when you’re both in them?’

Myself and Lauren take all our own photos unless I say otherwise in the caption. We use a tripod with the Canon timer remote. Whilst some of our photos are planned, we don’t create fake scenarios. They’re planned to create a real and candid feeling that happened moments before the photo was taken. We find ourselves in amazing situations every day and want to share these moments with you. Since we often travel only with each other, we use the tripod and remote to achieve this style of imagery.

Polaroid Camera

Fujifilm Instax Mini 90

Lastly, the Instax mini 90 polaroid camera. Although I don’t use this camera for my online photos, I take it on pretty much every trip. It’s such a fun little camera to use for capturing raw moments just as they are. Me and Lauren have collected hundreds of little polaroid pictures over the last 10 months and plan on creating a full wall of memories in our new Bali home.

Follow my journey via email!

58 Comments

58 responses to “Equipment Breakdown”

1. Thank you for sharing! Can you mention what brand your tripod is and give some tips on focusing self portraits when using the remote?

2. Anonymous says:

Thanks for sharing your resources with us! Could you share the tripod brand and tips on focusing self portraits when using the remote? Thanks!

3. C. Lockwood says:

Lately, I have been incredibly inspired to get into photography, as it has always been a hobby, after seeing your Instagram. This post is so helpful to me, keep doing what you’re doing!

4. Adrianna says:

Hi! Do you use drones ? And if yes, what drones do you use? And how do you edit your photos

5. Patrick says:

Thank you. What which bags or backpacks do you use for your gear? Any special camera backpack or just random?

6. Anonymous says:

Thank you for posting all this information! If I am someone who strictly likes to take photos and not videos do you recomment the Canon EOS 5D Mark III or the Sony A7s Mk II for those beautiful results? Any advice would be great!

7. Soukaina JEMMALI says:

Hello Jack, I’m just in love with your work! thank you for sharing all this precious informations with your followers… If only you could do a tutorial too, it will be so helpful, specially for beginner as me…

8. Irena says:

Hi, can you tell me what editing app do you usually use for your photos? Thank you.

9. Mng says:

Love your photos! Thanks for sharing:) was wondering what type of travel tripod do you have there?

10. Anonymous says:

this is a very great information and I always love your posts!!!! very excited to see it! but I do have another questions…. do you ever use a camera phone for your photos? and if yes, what’s the best camera phone do you suggest? and also what app did you use to edit your Instagram photos..? ^^

11. Tina Flint says:

I was looking at getting a canon 5d mark iii & the salesperson said it shoots 4K videos. So glad for your input on this one. So amazed with all your travel photos!

12. Alex says:

Hey Jack! Thank you for the very insightful post. What camera would you recommend for a beginner? I am still torn apart between DSLRs like Canon and Mirrorless like Sony. I would like to achieve both great photography and videos!

13. Dianerdey says:

Editing tutorial please … what apps do you use for editing ?

14. Claire Locke says:

Hi, I love your pictures. Just wondering what photo editing apps you like the best? Do you VSCO.co? Thanks and travel on!

15. Rachel reagon says:

Would love to hear some editing tips :). I know you’ve said before you use Lightroom with no presets. But I would love some tips on how you achieve your look.

Also you and Lauren are the sweetest couple!! Thank you for sharing your lives through becautiful photos with us!

16. Lars Kamsteeg says:

Very excited for the video’s that are coming soon 🙂

17. Lukas Kulda says:

YES! Thank you! So much useful information for me 🙂
    Btw.: I was in September in Bali and now we have a full video from here if you want to check it you can here:
    and thank you! :))

18. Silene says:

Hi Jack,
    I have a 5d mark iii too and for me It is really a big problem the inability of this camera to record 60fps at 1080p… but for now I have no chance to buy an other one.
    Thanks for your post!

19. Alice says:

Hi Jack! Glad to hear u enjoy Indonesia. I’m from Indonesia too! I want to ask you how have a good photo tone like urs. I’m a big fan of u and Lauren! Thanks for inspiring me:) Best regards.

20. Hannah Janoe says:

I love seeing your pictures from here versus the small Instagram square. The details are so nice! Thanks so much for this post about your gear! Although it’s obviously not the gear that makes a good photograph some lenses are more useful in certain situations. I was recently given the canon 24 1.4 as a gift and have been thinking of exchanging it for the 35 1.4 but I’m torn. I mostly use it for travel so I was wondering which focal length you find most useful all around when traveling… (I own some other primes but not L series). Love your work &I can’t wait to see the videos!